Old 08-06-2006, 02:47 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Default Lily Pad and mud - lily growth

Peter Smith wrote:

Thank's to all
2 questions that were not answered.
1. Do they have to have soil?

No. I plant bare root - I just wire the tuber to a rock! I thought the
question _was_ in fact answered by the poster who said that some have
success...

2. How deep or how far do they have to be from the water line?

It all depends on the lilies. I've had some that did great down to 5'.
I've had dwarf varieties that shouldn't be more than a few inches below the
surface. Generally, I start dwarfs out at about 2" below the surface, and
lower them as they develop, to no more than 18" (sometimes as little as
6"). Larger varieties, I start at about 18" and lower them as their pads
start reaching the surface.
--
derek