Old 08-06-2006, 06:09 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Default Where to put pumps?

Wellwith pushing water it degrades performance big time. Water weighs
a lot, so every inch of water you push ahead and up from the pump is
pulling down the pumps performance.

Pulling water now, especially if theline that is feeding thepump is
low enough that it fills with water naturally from the poind to the
point the water is being raised up from is gong to e the best route,
and other than a slight amount of pipe frictional losses will work
better.

Water falls in general need more flow than most typical pond pumps
commonly found in big box stores provide. There is a fomula for every
inch of height and every inch of width of the water fall to follow.
Check out AZPonds.com as they carry just about all of the major
players in the pump field, and also usually have cheapestprices and
free shipping as well.

One pump that would work fine for a water fall is the Cyprio Tital
pump. Priced very reasonable as well..... but its a submersible pump
and any water would be pushed.......If your interested in a external
pump the Sequence line of pumps is very hartd to beat, and they are
also very economical to run.......I have 8 Sequences in operation
24/7/365 now for over 4 years without so much of even a small problem
with any of them. Their value line of pumps is a good deal but the
best is the 750 or 1000 model lineup or their primer series, which is
a serious water mover............

http://www.azponds.com/

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:59:16 -0700, "chip" wrote:
Is it easier (less HP, less money and electric, less priming) for a pump to
push rather than pull water? I plan on a 3' waterfall about 30' from the
pond flowing in a stream, dropping another foot, to the pond. Should I put
a submersible pump in the bottom of the pond and push water to the waterfall
or put it above ground at the waterfall end and pull water? I'm assuming I
will have my filters at the waterfall end.

Any advise or sites? Approx what HP and gph will I need to shop for?
Thanks

Chip