Old 08-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Dave Roberts Dave Roberts is offline
Registered User

Location: Lincolnshire coast, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by trin
Before I ask any more gardening questions, I would just like someone to clarify for me the relationship between Garden Banter and this forum(I'm sure I'm not meant to use that word). I found the you through Garden Banter and thought it was part of that site. Is it not? I notice that below my name in a post it says registered user rather than usernet poster.
I started posting here because it made sense to ask questions about gardening in Britain to a British group. If this is a private site or invitation only please accept my apologies.
I'm afraid I tried to read the link about usenet in garden banter. It was called Lost in Usenet..... and I'm still lost
. ........................................

Hi! trin.
I see you are on line. Personally I don't know any of these people, I have
only used the site recently to ask a few questions, and impart a bit of my personal
gardening knowledge where, I thought it might help someone. But it is quite obvious,
as I am sure you have realised by now, that you/we are impinging on the territory of
a bunch of folk who have known each other for some time and have formed a certain cosiness. A totally natural, human characteristic, - we are all the same in this respect
However some particularly insecure people become apprehensive about a newcomer, - who may be potentially disruptive, or who may "steal" their friends affections, - and they will try to make you feel uncomfortable. There is one such
on this page, who can be so disturbed as to become particularly infantile in his comments on the discovery of a newcomer.
The more mature will try to welcome any new blood as a possible
source of additional interest.
For myself, if I wanted social contact, I would go to a social site. I am here solely to increase my gardening knowledge, and couldn't give the proverbial "reservoir"
for personalities good bad or indifferent.
All the best to you
Dave
Dave