Old 09-06-2006, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default FAIRY RING FUNGI or MUSHROOM

Japhy wrote:
Hello,
I just planted some new sod a couple of months ago (San Diego).
In 1 part of the lawn, I am getting some mushroom growth, or possibly
fairy ring fungus. Can anyone tell me how to identify if it is
mushrooms
or fairy ring fungus? If mushrooms, seems like I may be watering too
much. But if fairy ring fungus, sounds like one solution is to
saturate.
Any thoughts appreciated!

The mushrooms will grow in a circular pattern with darker green and
dead grass in the middle. Like icebergs the business part of a ring is
below ground. My experiance in ridding of them is to dig up the entire
affected area and resod. If not aeriate with a good pitchfork and add
lots of water and dish liquid mix to the fungus.