Old 09-06-2006, 01:48 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Goldfish and Duckweed

well what do yu expect for a stagnant mudhole you call a pond and
living where yu do and habving such an invasive speices as such in it.
Go ahead Galen listen to CArol Gulley and her sock puppets, who have
no experieince with natural ponds at all but lead you and others down
the blind winding road. You deserve all the algae and duckweed
infestations that happens too you. There is just certain thngs yu can
do in a liner type pond that is not good to do in a natural pond and
there is thngs that neds to be done in a natural pond that does not
apply to a liner pond.

Oh and so much for your so called water table that never fluctuates,
huh, is it ankle deep yet! You were told now suffer jerk!

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 20:18:20 -0400, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:
On 8 Jun 2006 16:56:48 -0700, wrote:

I presume there is still some expertise here in spite of the garbage so
I would like to expand on the duckweed thing.

If it were not that several people here and elsewhere have said
goldfish eat duckweed, I would have written it off as nonsense.

I bought 16 feeders yesterday and have spent a good deal of time
studying their behavior and conclude that I have indeed been snookered.

On the rare occasion that one came to the surface, it simply looked
around and sounded again.

It is hard to believe that 1600 or even 16,000 would have the slightest
impact on the duckweed populaton.

Does anyone have any experience in this regard with a real (natural)
pond?

Thanks,

I haven't had any experience yet, but I'm likely to in short order. There
are three ponds on the property here, and two of them are pretty much
covered with duckweed. My rear pond didn't have any last year (I have
pictures) but got covered this year. The front pond has been pretty much
covered with it for the past two years (and maybe before that, but I wasn't
here). The rear pond got about one third clear in April, but it has been
covered up again. The middle pond I pumped out and had bulldozed (it was
filled with trash) so I have about a 50 foot diameter unlined pond to start
with fresh. I guess some ducks (it is called duckweed) must have tracked
it in because I have some growing in the middle pond, but it hasn't become
a problem...yet. I suppose I'll try the carp if it does, and if that
doesn't work I'm not sure what I'll do. I have heard that Sonic(tm) will
kill the duckweed (and other floating plants) but leaves the fish, critters
and other plants alone. Grass carp (non-reproducing) are supposed to be
control fish, if one goes that route.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA

Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand.