Old 09-06-2006, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bradford pear - whats wrong with it?

Does the tree in my picture appear to be dead? Should I water daily?

Ether Jones wrote:
wrote:
The below bradford pear's leaves are turning brownish and wilting. The
guy at the garden place told me to water it every other day after
planting it, and that's all that needs to be done. I did that, and
about 4 days later it started looking like this. It has been planted
for about 5 weeks now. Is it dying? Should I water it more? Less?
Is there anything I can buy to help it out (i.e. fertilizer..ect)?

I bought a very healthy-looking Bradford Pear at WalMart for $13.50,
and 4 weeks after planting it was 2/3 dead (all the leaves on bottom
2/3 turned brown/black).

I bought a replacement at Lowe's which has been in the ground for 2
weeks now. No dead leaves yet, but no new growth either. We'll see.