Old 09-06-2006, 04:05 AM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible

Default Why Do Ripe Fruits Smell Bad?

"Justin" wrote in message
Radium wrote on [8 Jun 2006 07:37:38 -0700]:

Allan Adler wrote:
"Radium" writes:

I notice that many fruit emit foul odors when ripe. What chemicals are
responisble for this?

There was an article in Natural History, I think, in the last year or so
on the evolutionary role of rotting fruit in human development.

They
presented the so-called drunken monkey theory and mentioned that some
of the rotting fruit contains alcohol and the monkeys are attracted to
it. Check it out.

It can't be alcohol. I like the smell of alcohol.

It's the length of your spine. Cleary your nose is far too close to your
anus.

A condition otherwise known as a recto-cranial inversion.

Eric Lucas