Old 09-06-2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

Default What to strawberries have against tomatoes?

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

I've just put in a new vegetable garden. After I planted the strawberries
I noticed that the container said not to plant them where tomatoes have
been grown within the last three years. Why can't you plant strawberries
on the same land as tomatoes? How far apart do they have to be?

They share several soil-borne diseases that overwinter in the soil that
would be a problem especially in damp climates. Personally, I would put
as much distance as possible between them.

This is the reason I grow my tomatoes and potatoes in containers. The
soil is never used again with any vegetables and the plant parts are
never composted, so there's no risk of passing on these diseases to
other plants.

..