Old 09-06-2006, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default Bi-colored shrub roses?

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(Gail Futoran) wrote in
:

(3) If your odd colored rose bush was grafted,
it could have reverted to the rootstock. But that
is probably the least likely explanation.

Thanks for the info, but remember, 3/4 of the bush in question is
the same color as the other (and the color a Pink Grootendorst is
"supposed" to be).

And, it's the recent addition of individual bi-colored blossoms
that prompted my post.

Still, they -are plants, and they'll do whatever it is that plants
do, and I'll just sit back and watch.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

I suspect your Pink Grootenbrost and my
Variegata di Bologna are behaving similarly.
As I recall my rose produced only or mostly
produced the expected striped blooms for the
first few years after it was planted (1999), and it
was only later that it started producing solid
color blooms, basically the reverse of your
experience.

Maybe your rose and mine are "reverting" back
to one of their parents. I've read that can
happen. But that's a genetic process as I vaguely
understand it, not a function of the grafting or
seeding or whatever process produced your
specific plant.

The American Rose Society has articles on
progagating roses, which might be of interest.
www.ars.org
Read down the front page until you see the
underlined word Articles. Those are in the
public area so you don't have to be a member
to access them.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA Zone 8