Old 09-06-2006, 07:05 PM posted to austin.gardening
Joe Doe

Default Plan "B" Shade Tree

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 18:15:17 -0500, Treedweller
wrote:

After years on the "preferred" list, pistache has been added to a "Do
not plant" list in Austin because it is invasive. It also tends
toward tight crotches that may break as the tree gets larger. It has
good points, but I lean towards "avoid it."

Whose "preferred" list has it been removed from? How are they
invasive? Just asking.

The City of Austin Grow Green "Native and Adapted Landscape Plants". It
is now on their invasive plant list (at least in the Jan 2005 edition).

I am actually ****ed about it because in their previous editions it was
on their recommended list. I actually planted two.

Keith's comment on weak crotches etc. is even more alarming - I planted
these to replace Hackberries I had to remove. I wanted to plant
something that was relatively trouble free for the next owner. I was
actually somewhat suspicious about Chinese Pistache because it is
frequently referred to as "self-pruning" which I presume is a code word
for weak wood. The pluses are it is fast growing and fall color is
spectacular.

Roland