Old 09-06-2006, 10:25 PM
trin trin is offline
Registered User

Location: South West UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Baraclough
Why There are only eight ivy stems, and all you have to do is paint
rootkiller onto the cut stump of each one. Normal practice is to slip
plastic over the top of a treated stump and tie it on, to prevent rain
washing the stuff out. So I don't see why the rootkiller could be in
contact with the hawthorn at all, or affect it.

Janet

--
I have not opened the box but I presumed it was crystals. The ivy stumps are attached closely to the tree and I don't think that I can get any plastic between them and the bark without doing a bit of damage, I was also worried that is I applied the crystals and it then rained that then liquid root killer would soak down into the ground and affect the Hawthorn roots too. Although it did flower this year it was very overgrown with ivy overwinter and I suspect may be a bit compromised anyway.
Having saved it from the ivy, I did not want to risk poisoning it.