Old 09-06-2006, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ether Jones

Default Bradford pear - whats wrong with it?

wrote:
Does the tree in my picture appear to be dead? Should I water daily?

Doesn't look dead to me. On my dead one, the leaves turned dark brown
/ black and were hanging limp. Yours doesn't look too bad. But, I'm a
novice too.

As for watering, it depends on what kind of soil you have. Before
watering next time, push a portion of the mulch aside and carefully
scrape away about an inch of soil with your fingers in a small area.

Is the soil soaking wet? DO NOT WATER!

Is the soil slightly moist? STILL do not water.

Is the soil dusty and bone dry? For sure you need water, and you
should check more frequently in the future.

Other more seasoned experts in this ng may have a different answer, but
that's what I've been told by my gardening friends.