Old 10-06-2006, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

Default What to strawberries have against tomatoes?

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
news
I've just put in a new vegetable garden. After I planted the strawberries
I noticed that the container said not to plant them where tomatoes have
been grown within the last three years. Why can't you plant strawberries
on the same land as tomatoes? How far apart do they have to be?

Set new plants 24" apart. Not to worry about the large initial spacing b/c
the mother plants will send out plenty of daughter plants and fill in the
bed nicely after one year and completely after two.

Take good care to keep them well tended during the summer. Come September,
apply fertilizer.

http://ssfruit.cas.psu.edu/chapter8/chapter8a.htm
http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/en.../feb90pr6.html