Old 10-06-2006, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default A problem :o(

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 12:37:16 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

Looks like a rust of some sort, which a disinfectant might help, or it could
be mite damage. Hard to say for sure without a close-up, personal look.

A couple of mite hunting suggestions I have heard:
Wipe bottom of leaf with damp paper towel... Does the towel collect a
residue? Spread out flat. After 5 minutes did any of it change
location on the towel? If so, it suggests bugs moving. MITES.

Also Hold a white sheet of paper under the leaf and Strike the leaf
above sharply with fingers. Are there any spots on paper? OR try
rubbing the side of a pencil along the leaf... Did anything fall onto
the paper? IF there are specks or dots on the paper, draw a circle
around them. IF after 5 minutes the spot is not in the center of the
drawn circle it is a bug not a dust spot. MITES.

I have never (knock on wood) treated or diagnosed mites. I don't know
how effective either of these may be.

Good Luck
SuE