Old 11-06-2006, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

Default Japanese Maple branches dry

In article ,
"R. Kannan" wrote:

Hi,

I seem to have problems with a Japanese maple on the partly shady southern
side of my house. I live in Michigan. It seems to have very few leaves and
the branches that look very dry. Can I use an acid fertilizer for Japanese
maple though it is not listed on the bag?

TIA for any advice.

Can you bend the branches? If yes give it time. If no I'd start low
and remove on your way up. They can come back. I've cut off whole
tree tops and encouraged suckers sort of like coppice instead not for
wood btu's but beauty. How old is you tree +-5 years ? Flexibility
is a good indication of vitality even in people ).

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade