Old 11-06-2006, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Grey squirrels - just as native as we are.

In article ,
"Graculus" writes:
| wrote in message
| news | Grey Squirrels - just as native as we are
| lots of stuff deleted
|
| Sustitute "aboriginies" for "red squirrel" and "white man" for "grey
| squirrel" and you've got Australia.
|
| Or use as an example any ethnic group now native in a region where that
| group didn't originate, and you've got pretty much anywhere.
|
| There's nothing new in the world, after all.

Well, yes - but Angus the troll doesn't manage to be entirely wrong
all of the time, despite his best attempts.

Almost all of the nonsense posted about the British Isles' ecology misses
the point that it has been in continually, human-modified change for the
past 11,000 years. Humans were here before (probably) 95% of the plant
species and probably 90% of the bird and animal ones, and we simply
do not have a clue which were introduced with human help and which came
on their own. The classification of "native species" in the UK is near-
complete crap.

That is entirely unlike Australia or, indeed, almost anywhere else on
earth.

What we need is more diversity, not less - such as beech martens. The
RSPB would scream, but there Angus also manages to be correct (the only
other aspect where he does, as far as I know). The RSPB is not an
ecologically responsible organisation, which is why it is so harmful.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.