Old 17-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Cereoid+10+

Default Bird of Paradise

We are not talking about the same thing. There is more than one species of
"Bird of Paradise" and they fall into two very different groups based on
their growth form and floral characters.

Strelitzia reginae flowers best if pot bound and it can take as long as 7 or
8 years for the plants to re-establish after repotting.

Now if we are talking about arborescent species that grows several feet
tall, that certainly wouldn't be the case unless you want to grow them in
really large tubs. These are usually planted in the ground in warm climates.

I don't have time to list all the species right now. This will give you an
idea of the two types of growth forms in the genus Strelitzia.

http://virtual.clemson.edu/groups/bcd/bopspecies.htm

They still flower best when well watered and fertilized. When they bloom,
they are heavy feeders.

Don't be limited by what you know. Learn as much as you can about the
plants.

david wrote in message
"Cereoid+10+" wrote
"The plants do best with plenty of water and fertilizer to encourage
blooming."

Can you explain why we are advised when.... having grown them from seed
....to keep them fairly pot bound and short of food if we want them to
flower, and to wait 7 or 8 years, yet in the ground your advice is what we
would expect.

Seems to be a contradiction.

--
David Hill