Old 11-06-2006, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
squeezeweasel

Default what kind of vegetable would you recommend to grow in front yard?

Mark wrote:
The only place that is flat in my yard is in the front yard.
I want to grow some vegiatables.
What would you recommend to grow in front yard, so it is edible and
looks good enough not to **** homeowner asscociation?

I grow Tumbler tomatoes, peppers and courgettes in my front garden,
right by the front door, in pots. I've also got three large containers
of mixed salad out there. They're actually really pretty, and with a
few pots of flowers mixed among them, the look great. Squash (including
courgettes) have lovely flowers, and a friend of my mother's actually
trains squash around her front door. They look absolutely beautiful
when they fruit, too.

Failing that, what about a herb bed or a pretty container full of them?
A lot of thymes are really decorative, chives have lovely flowers, sage
is pretty...to stop the mint and parsley getting out of control, I grow
my herbs in a large butler sink (with some gravel in the bottom the
plug hole is perfectly adequate drainage) I rescued from a skip.

--
www.gastronomydomine.com