Old 11-06-2006, 06:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Timothy

Default Edging revisited... true edger vs. attachment edger

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 18:06:33 -0700, iman5802 wrote:

I read the recent thread on edging and it reminded me how much I really
hate the edging aspect of my lawn care. Yes, I could hire someone to do
my lawn, but its good exercise and I guess I'm too cheap to do so.

My question is which is better for edging as far as speed and ease, a true
edger or one of those attached edgers that goes onto a weedeater? I also
have a corner lot and there is a sidewalk that goes around it, so I have
triple edging duty on 3/4 of my lot! I have been using a true edger but
it isn't easy to adjust it for curbs and I go thru a blade each season.
I've tried just using the weedeater but it isn't that easy nor is it as
strong as the blade of the edger. I am curious about the blade edger
attachments for the weedeater though.

Anyone have exerience and input?

Good day iman5802. It sounds like your 'riding' the concrete way too much
when your edging. You shouldn't see sparks very much when you edge. After
the first few times of edging, you should have a 1/2 inch wide cut along
your concrete where you can run your blade and trim off the grass.

Depending on the soil movement, foot traffic and the like, the edge should
stay rather true and not fill in very much. You will find it's easier to
edge if you do it every time you mow. Try to edge when the soil is dry.
It's a lot easier to do and less work for the blade.

Wheeled edger Vrs stick edger.
I own both. I use the wheeled edger for badly over-grown edges. After the
edge has been 'found' again, I use the stick edger. Stick edgers are very
easy to use compared to wheeled edgers and work very well for dirt edges
in a lawn area. These flower bed edges tend to have curves in them that
are hard to do with a wheeled edger, while a stick edger gives you much
more freedom and speed.

Wheeled edgers have lots more power but less moveability. Stick edgers
have less power but are more capable of detailed work.

--
http://resources.ywgc.com/info