Old 11-06-2006, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Default new idea for barrier to stop slugs

"EastneyEnder" wrote in message

Where can one buy copper sheet?

In our case from Smiths Metals

http://www.smithmetal.com/smc/products/copper.htm

And is it just copper they don't like?

I think so. Brass might work but it's harder to cut and bend into circles.

...And does it work for snails too?

Yes.

I've long been thinking of planting some hostas in galvanised containers
but
it's Snail City here so I don't know if they'd last long.

A very large sheet, 2.4 x 1m, cost £164.51 a couple of months ago. That's
expensive but it would make a lot of rings - and the cost could be shared
with neighbours or a gardening club.

Mike's idea - Earth bonding strip - would be good but you need about 3"
depth to ensure that you can bury about 1/2" in the soil and there's no risk
of leaves overhanging.

Mary