Old 17-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Training pot size

Jim:

Looking at the pots on the page below:

http://homeharvest.com/containergardenpotsplastic.htm

I'm thinking of taking their 20 quart pot - 12" diameter x

11.25" deep - and
cutting it down halfway leaving it about 5-6" deep. Is this

too shallow for
trunk development?

The pot would probably be 8-9 inches diameter at that point.
Whether that's OK depends on the size of the tree you want to
work on. You certainly would NOT put a 3-4-inch trunk into this
pot, but a one incher would find it large enough, I'm sure.

20 quarts=5 gallon. Where can I buy the 10-15-20 gallon pots

you mentioned
below?

1. Go to a nursery that sells large landscape trees. Ask. Home
Depot and its ilk won't have these.

2. Do a web search for "nursery pot" (or similar terms).

3. Buy a big tree (or follow someone else who has bought one.
After they plant it, they have this pot they need to get rid of).

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++