Old 12-06-2006, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nicole

Default Bradford pear - whats wrong with it?

Looks like leaf scorch
www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP_25_W.pdf

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactS...leafscorch.htm

There is a bacterial leaf scorch which is a systemic problem.
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Research/Ba...eafScorch.html

Make sure not to over water it... too much will kill it just like not
enough. You want to deep water not water constantly.
I would not fertilize it. I was taught not to fertilize new trees heavily
as they need to acclimate and not start rapid growth

You don't mention where you are.... here, central/southern CA, already, my
flowering pear has some sun scald and we haven't even had sustained 100's
(they're coming just late)

HTH
Nicole

wrote in message
oups.com...
The below bradford pear's leaves are turning brownish and wilting. The
guy at the garden place told me to water it every other day after
planting it, and that's all that needs to be done. I did that, and
about 4 days later it started looking like this. It has been planted
for about 5 weeks now. Is it dying? Should I water it more? Less?
Is there anything I can buy to help it out (i.e. fertilizer..ect)?

Also, why are the good leaves a light green? All the other bradford
pears I see have very dark green leaves? Is it because it's a small
bradford? Will the color change?