Old 12-06-2006, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Carlock

Default strange beast pulling out tomato plants

"Elaine" wrote:
Sound like the devily deeds of a squirrel. Maybe doing it at
sunrise before you get up.

They like to pull up newly planted annuals like that. The
dummies think they can find an acorn in the fresh dirt. I
have to check my beds and fix their damage everyday.
I use red or cayenne pepper to detour them.

Sometimes I think they bury the acorns and forget where
they buried them. They see someone digging around, and
then think someone found "their" acorn or is perhaps
burying another acorn "for them".

I've planted some seeds in the past only to find that the
area where I planted the seed ended up dug up. And sure
enough, I glance around and see squirrels watching every
step I take. They're very curious about people digging
holes and they think you're doing something for them.

I ended up placing a couple chopped rose bush branches
around certain areas, as well as some orange tree branches,
(bigger thorns). That seems to stop them from their digging
activities. The small orange tree branches work very too.

They seem to remember things very well and once they
stuck they avoid the area like a plague in the immediate
future.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the group.