Old 12-06-2006, 02:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
FDR

Default Perculiar lawn mower problem

"fr0g" wrote in message

"FDR" wrote in message
I have a Sears lawn mower, rear drive, 6.5 Hp Briggs and Stratton engine
that is five years old. It didn't get much use when we got it in the

fall
five years ago, and then the following years we had somebody mow our lawn

so
it sat for four years. This spring I fired it up and it ran well until

the
last few times. The symptoms are this:

Takes several tries to get started. Prime the bulb and pull cord, will

run
for 5 seconds and stop. Repeat this five or so times until it stays
running.

Then will run for 20 or so minutes and then run erratically and stall

After
stalling, the engine must be bulb primed to get started again. Will run

for
a minute and then stall again. Repeats this over and over until I give

up.

Before I bring this in to get serviced, can I get an idea what might be
causing this.

Carburetion/ fuel system (from sitting)

Would that mean a nwe carb? What exactly would cause it to have problems at
startup and after running 20 minutes? I assume heat is an issue, but how?

I'm wondering if it's worth the repair bill.

Only you can answer this.

I'll have to research the price of a carb. I could probably do it myself.