Old 11-06-2006, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Default new idea for barrier to stop slugs

"jww" wrote in message
my neighbour says if i put my 'slug chewed' plant in a pot and then stand
the pot in a saucer and smear the saucer edge with Vaseline, the slugs
wont cross over the vaseline. any truth in this please? or any other
recommendations of what arrangement to stand the pot in please? thanks

I had correspondence some time ago (October 2005) about this - I'd forgotten
about it.

Mary:

Something else we experimented with this year which proved successful
on containers is a double metallic strip, one of copper and one of
aluminium foil with a small gap separating them. We were growing sugar
snap peas in wooden boxes and put the double tape around one box and not
the other. The pea plants in the box without tape disappeared quite
quickly, those in the other box thrived (the boxes were next to each
other).

That's very interesting - but it wouldn't work if crops were grown in the
open ground, would it? As someone else pointed out, they live underground
as well as crawling over the surface.

No, it only works on containers where they have to crawl over the double
metallic strip to get at the plants. I thought it might also work for
Paul's problem, if they had to crawl over the window cill to get to the
glass.

The only problem is that we have not found anywhere to buy aluminium
foil tape and so had to make our own from aluminium kitchen foil cut
into strips and stuck to double sided sticky tape.