Old 12-06-2006, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Default new idea for barrier to stop slugs

"fenwoman" wrote in message

Mary Fisher wrote in message
t...

either copper strip or if you have a QD shop near you, they sell
crushed
seashells which you sprinkle around the plants which slugs don't like
cross cos the shards poke them in their little sluggy tummies.

I tried that, it didn't work.

I have a large source of crushed eggshells which are sometimes suggested,
they didn't work either.

Perhaps yours have little kevlar slug tummy vests?

Well of course they're not their tummies, they're feet. When you consider
what they move along - concrete, sharp faced stone, soil itself, I'm not
surprised that shells don't work.

The crushed seashell and
crushed eggshell works just fine for me. I grow hostas, luopins and all
sorts of slug favourites here very sucsessfully. The slugs are about cos
when I let the dogs out for their last piddle I see them on the concrete
path. Ginormous black ones and reddish brown ones nearly 3 inches
long.They
just don't eat my plants.

We get those too. The hens see to the smaller ones when they see them - but
the hens aren't allowed in the veg plots. I don't have hostas or lupins
(aphids saw lupins off my favourite list!) and in fact the huge slugs aren't
a problem for my veg, it's the little grey ones which have a taste for good
food :-)

Mary