Old 12-06-2006, 01:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ideas to support gladiolus

Hey Joe, thanks for the warning about the beer. I can see how it might
make the project move along better!

I thought about galvanized fence wire or vinyl coated fence wire. They
are
smoother and wouldn't be as likely to cause stem damage.
I already have some concrete wire but as I mentioned it's rusty and I'm
not
going to use it for my glads.

I did go by my local Big Lots and was surprised to actually find some
of these
3 ft long bamboo sticks!! 25 sticks in a pack for a buck!
I'm arguing with my wife to grow some bamboo.
I know it's invasive but we have a large back yard and could easily mow
around
it to keep it in check-- I think.
I actually had one nursery man to recommend digging a moat and filling
it with concrete to contain bamboo!!! Yikes!

Maybe I'll just buy mine at the store......
Maybe I should go back to Big Lots and snag all the bamboo they have in
stock!

Thanks everyone!
Dan D.