Old 12-06-2006, 01:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
willshak

Default Perculiar lawn mower problem

FDR wrote:
"fr0g" wrote in message

I'd look at fuel delivery first. Check the screen in the tank and the gas
cap (vent). It sounds (to me) like the flow of fuel is restricted. I've
seen
the cap vent cause this problem. After that checks out I'd look at the
carb.
Pull it, disassemble, clean, adjust, re-install. I bet you'll find some
crud
in the passages and restrictions in the fuel supply.

What would be reasonable to clean it with? Rag, solvent, WD40?

If you don't know what to clean a carburetor with, I wouldn't suggest
taking the carb apart. Spend the $50 or $60 and find a reliable small
motor repair shop. I paid $70 to have my garden tractor's carb cleaned.
It would have been much cheaper if I could have delivered the mower to
the shop myself. As it was, the bill included pick up and delivery of
the tractor.

I'm wondering if it's worth the repair bill.

You might be able to get an estimate to better help you decide.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY