Old 12-06-2006, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ConcernedDicksonia Antarctica owner!

robb2401 wrote:
I live in the Midlands (Rugby) and have owned a "Dixie" for 4 years now.
It stands in a large pot 30" dia. x 36" high and has produced 10-12
beautiful even fronds each year, except this year they have all grown
out of a very tight area in the centre of the trunk and so the central
core is very narrow. Indeed it all seems tightly packed and the fronds
have not unfurled as much as previous years. I didn't do anything
differently over the last winter. Apart from the first winter when I
cut the old fronds off before wrapping the trunk in an insulating
jacket and stuffing straw down the core, the last 2 winters I left the
old fronds and cut them off in the spring. So my concern is that the
new growth seems to be shooting from a narrowing space. Am I right to
be concerned and if so what should I do about it. ? Any advice
appreciated

This happens mine sometimes. I THINK it is caused by parts of the
crown dying
through frost or drought damage. All new growth comes from the top of
the "trunk"
and if it dries out ever, it will suffer. I have had mine dry out in
dry spring weather.
If that happens really badly, I think it will kill the plant. I have
been lucky in that mine have recovered but just as you described i.e.
you get a small circle of tiny fronds. This happend me last year to
some and to one this year. The ones that were hit last year have
recovered a bit but the fronds are still smaller than before the
damage. When it happened last year, it was during a long dry spell
that lasted about 2 months (in Dublin; bit unusual) accompanied by
fairly cold bright days. I think they simply dried out.
This spring has also been very dry but I watered them regularly and
only 1 was hit (I have 7 in total from spores about 8 years ago). I
got completely tired repotting them every year so this year, I planted
5 of them in a bed. That MIGHT make them more drought tolerant (might
not as the top of the trunk is where they need watering).

Des

--
robb2401