Old 12-06-2006, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Not@home

Default Tomatos - pinch suckers? Let them sprawl?

I start seedlings and put one in a half-barrel beside the porch early
(using those walls of water to prevent freezing). I baby this plant,
weeding and watering it often, and pinch off the suckers.

The others I plant in the garden once the weather is warm. I don't baby
them, just water twice weekly, and don't pinch off the suckers.

Both methods produce equal crops, at the same time. I don't know why I
bother with the barrel, other than its too heavy to move and looks funny
empty.

Matthew Reed wrote:
I have some tomatoes growing like crazy - including putting out healthy
suckers. Is there any generally agreed on "best" way to grow tomatoes? Pinch
suckers? Tie to trellis? Let sprawl? Any voices of experience here that
would like to comment?