Old 12-06-2006, 07:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
PlainBill

Default Where to put pumps?

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:59:16 -0700, "chip" wrote:

Is it easier (less HP, less money and electric, less priming) for a pump to
push rather than pull water? I plan on a 3' waterfall about 30' from the
pond flowing in a stream, dropping another foot, to the pond. Should I put
a submersible pump in the bottom of the pond and push water to the waterfall
or put it above ground at the waterfall end and pull water? I'm assuming I
will have my filters at the waterfall end.

Any advise or sites? Approx what HP and gph will I need to shop for?
Thanks

Chip

Wow!! A lot of misinformation here!!!

A given pump will be just as efficient if it is pulling water up from
a pond or pushing the water. A pump in a pond will always be self
priming, if it is above the water level it may require a check valve
in the suction line, or may be able to prime itself, depending on
design. Installing a pump outside the pond, but below the level of
the water may not be practical in some cases.

The big variable is the pump itself. Also every elbow in the plumbing
impedes the flow of water and thus reduces efficiency.

A rule of thumb is the GPH rating of the pump should be twice the
capacity of the pond. I'm not going to get into a discussion of which
brand of pump is better, except to point out that the cheapest and
the most expensive are usually not worth the money.

PlainBill