Old 18-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Steve Wolfinger

Default [IBC] root/top growth balance in juniper

his is a basic foliage/root balance question. I just took 2 garden junipers
I had from last year,
procumbens nana in one gallon nursery pots. and styled them yesterday.. as
spring is here (hopefully)
and everything is thawing out. I don't have any experience with pines/
junipers. I'm thinking that i will wait
untill fall to prune their roots..just letting them grow in their one
gallon nursey pots.\
as there is no need to double stress them. I know about balancing the top
when root pruning--
removing foliage since there are less roots to support top growth. but what
about too many roots and
not enough top growth? is that ever a problem? should i reduce the roots as
well?
... and when i read about maintining the shape of juniper.... it is pinching
out new growth.
how much if any new growth should be allowed to grow for the health of the
tree??

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++