Old 12-06-2006, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Default sycamore & clematis seedlings

The message
from "dave or stella @ stejonda"
contains these words:

We have a sycamore nearby and each year we have to keep an eye out for
numerous seedlings which establish themselves with remarkable speed.

We also have several Clematis montanas around our garden which each year
coat the garden with their seed heads. All I do with these is let the
flymo vacuum them up from the grass and otherwise leave them where they
fall. I never see clematis seedlings.

Why the difference?

Every seed is pre-programmed to germinate in specific conditions.
Some can only germinate in bare soil; or after fire, or after a frost,
or in light sunny conditions. Clematis are fussier than sycamore.

Sycamore can germinate anywhere, in shallow or deep soil, in shade
or sun,, in wet or dry soil, in bare soil or dense growth of a
competeing plant (such as lawn).

Janet

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry