Old 12-06-2006, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default broad beans and blackfly

In article ,
"H Ryder" writes:
| I've tried leaving the black-fly when they didn't seem too
| bad, and the next I knew, the bean pods themselves were smothered with
| them, and that's not nice!
|
| so how do I get rid of them please? I've pinched out teh tops now but can
| still see some.

Spray with diluted soft soap (e.g. Savona) or diluted washing-up liquid
with a squirt of meths in. Flood the areas of the plants they are
infesting, and repeat as necessary (after 48 hours, if need be). The
blackfly shrivel up and die, within hours in this weather.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.