Old 18-03-2003, 12:20 AM
zookeeper

Default Water Hyacinth 101?

Lee, I've also wondered how the koi decimated the water hyacinth, and
how they managed to take such large, round bites out of the bulbous part
of the plant. Then I saw the koi either pinning the plant against the
edge of the pond or with a koi on either side, then they just "slurp"
out a chunk and munch away. When I first saw this damage, I thought it
was caused by raccoons, except there where no teeth marks. Pretty
ingenious fish, eh?
--
Kathy B, zookeeper (OR)
3500gal pond

Lee Brouillet wrote:
Well, I went on an "illegal" harvest this weekend and grabbed a bag of water
hyacinth ...

Now that I have my ill-gotten gains, how do I care for them?

... For something that doesn't have teeth (OK, pharyngeal
don't count), how do they take out those big bites???