Old 12-06-2006, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jo

Default new idea for barrier to stop slugs

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Jo" wrote in message news:448dd1c9$0$69382

the copper ring idea sounds like it's worth a try - I have a really bad
slug/snail problem. Could you just explain how you set the rings on/in
the soil. I presume you don't lay them flat, but poke them into the
soil so they protrude upwards....am I understanding it right?

Think of a straight sided flower pot with no bottom but made of a flat
piece of copper metal bent round into an overlapping ring, you have the
thing.

I put the ring onto my arm, over my hand, then hold the leaves of the
plant together with my fingers and allow the ring to slide over my hand
and the plant. Then I move it round, backwards and forwards in a circular
motion, into the soil for about half to one inch deep.

I hope this helps.

Mary

Jo

Aah, I get it, but how but how tall is the ring...the whole height of the
plant or just a couple of inches?

I have just explained to hubby who thinks it sounds a good idea too....and
there's an electrical wholesalers near his workplace that sells copper
bonding strip!

Jo