Old 13-06-2006, 12:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

Default how to start a compost?

On 12 Jun 2006 20:36:47 -0700, "sand and sun"
wrote:

I like to start an organic compost bin at the corner of my garden.
After reading this group, my idea to get started is to have a 4-5' high
wire mesh (the smallest mesh size) rolled about 5' diameter. Keep the
roll standing on its sides vertically on a level ground or optionally
on top of a layer of stone/cement patio/walkway blocks. With adequate
support to keep the wire roll (bin) falling on its side. Then fill the
wire bin with 1 layer of grass clippings, lop it with 1 layer of bunny
house bedding (woodshave or brown paper shreddings + its organic waste)
collected while cleaning its hutch, and other kitchen waste, then one
layer of sand or garden soil and leaves. At about 1-2' from the ground,
insert couple of 6' long 1" pvc pipes horizontally with drilled holes,
criss-cross to one another inserted thru a hole made on the wire mesh
on opposite sides, spray it with water from garden hose. Repeat the
process till the bin in full. Then cover it with a tarp. If can get
some red or garden worms add them on top of the pile. Do I miss
anything? The only downside I see in this plan is that I wont be able
to turn the bin of this size. Is that Ok?

TIA

Sam.
USDA Zone 6

Best to have 2 bins so you can turn the pile every so often. Actually,
you don't need a bin at all. I don't use air pipes. A pile on the
ground works well. You don't need to turn the pile either, although
that will speed up the process. You'll know it is working properly by
the heat it produces.