Old 13-06-2006, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot

Default Tamarind plants / indian herbs & spices

fourmations wrote:
snip

mungo,

I have a huge interest in indian food

Me too. uk.food+drink.indian is "my" group Well, I proposed it and fought
for its creation anyway.

did you just plant these ordinarily, any special considerations?
I have tamarind from the asian shop
and it has seeds in it, is this where you got yours?

I was given them by one of the posters on UFDI - they arrived in a matchbox
and I forgot to plant them for two years! This year I just buried them in
normal compost at the same time as the tomatoes and runners and they just
grew.

I believe I've still got some left - I had a look for them earlier as it
happens but couldn't find them. If I do find them I'll gladly post some to
you, if you want to try growing them. They are quite large seeds - about
runner bean size.

Is there anything indian else you have managed to grow
apart from coriander
(curry leaves?, fenugreek leaves?)

I've only ever tried coriander and that wasn't overly successful. I did use
culinary seeds rather than ones specifically for planting though, if it
makes a difference.

Si