Old 13-06-2006, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato watering; water quantities?

K wrote:
writes
I have rigged up a Heath Robinson style irrigation system in me
greenhouse; it is a collection of tubes and a water butt and a timer
and lots of pokey little bits of plastic and about 4million bits of
hozelock. It kind of works but in order to ehhh fine tune it (fine
tuning is a bit overstated; change that to: in order to avoid killing
all 20 tomato plants or flooding the entire housing estate), I wondered
if anyone had even rough guidelines as to how much water a tomato plant
needed per day in a greenhouse. It is delivered in a very slow dribble
to the base of each plant.

Half an inch (approx) over entire soil surface is what my patio-type
tiny plants are getting in the greenhouse,

So if you say 3-4 cm, multiply that by your soil area, and remember that
1000 cc is a litre, which is turn about 1/5 gallon, you'll get some sort
of starting estimate.
--

Seeing as yours is my only reply, I want to thank you for the effort
Kay but mixing metric and imperial measures is a disaster for

Des

Kay