Old 13-06-2006, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C.

Default Tamarind plants / indian herbs & spices

Following up to "fourmations" :

Hi Mungo, I have been known to prop up on udfi myself
asking wierd questions, (see my latest!)

i would love to grow methi and curry leaves specifically
because they are items I can never get fresh

Methi is fenugreek leaves, right? Trigonella oenum-graecum?
In that case it should be easy to grow it in a sheltered spot. It comes
from the Mediterranean area originally and is known as a garden plant
attractive to butterflies in Germany.
I might give it a try myself, I'd never thought of trying it before. I've
got a spare patch in the garden.

You can grow nigella/kalonji easily. - I've got my first small patch
growing in the garden in Austria. (the ornamental forms are sometimes known
as Love-in-a-mist)

Coriander needs warmth, but doesn't like too much direct sun. I have had
success growing it in the shade of a dense row of raspberry canes in the
garden. (about 2-3 feet away). If it gets too sunburnt or dry it tends to
bolt.

Tim,
I read up on ginger but never did anything about it,
is it as easy as bunging supermarket ginger ina bucket?

No, not really. They're quite attractive plants though.
--
Tim C.