Old 18-03-2003, 12:44 AM
DGiunti

Default what flowers attract hummingbirds that will start from seeds/bulbs ?

In article , "Henry"
writes:

I am looking for suggestions on flowers that I can start from seed for my
kid's garden that will do a good job of attracting Hummingbirds. I live in
Central NY and I know we have them here as we have seen them at a neighbors
feeder and I think my kid would get a kick out of seeing them in his
garden.

I've gardened for hummingbirds successfully in California. They like plants
that give either a lot of pollen or nectar. The best attractant is
Honeysuckle. Other plants that they like are Giant Impatience (the bush that
is several feet high and whose flowers have a hook filled with nectar) and
types of Eucalyptus that have lots of pollen, like the variety called Bottle
Brush.

I am not sure about your growing conditions and these plants however. It
would not be a bad idea to find out what local variety of Honeysuckle is best.

David Giunti email: unity
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK
http://www.web-gallery.co.uk