Old 13-06-2006, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato watering; water quantities?

writes

K wrote:
writes

Half an inch (approx) over entire soil surface is what my patio-type
tiny plants are getting in the greenhouse,

So if you say 3-4 cm, multiply that by your soil area, and remember that
1000 cc is a litre, which is turn about 1/5 gallon, you'll get some sort
of starting estimate.
--

Seeing as yours is my only reply, I want to thank you for the effort
Kay but mixing metric and imperial measures is a disaster for

Well, stay in metric, then, and measure your water in litres ;-)
You could do the whole thing in imperial, but the beauty of metric is
that it is easy to convert from solid to liquid volume.

The water gets delivered in a slow dribble to just one patch at each
plant. I need to know your area to do teh above?

Use the total surface area of the soil, rather than the area of the
patch that you dribble on to.

My areas do not
correspond to much (or have I got this back to front; entirely possible
I admit). I have been guessing at an average of a bit more than a
litre per plant per day.

That sounds reasonable - 1cm deep over the surface of a 6inch pot would
be around 660cc or 2/3l
--
Kay