Old 13-06-2006, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Default Tamarind plants / indian herbs & spices

The message
from "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these words:

I've only ever tried coriander and that wasn't overly successful. I did use
culinary seeds rather than ones specifically for planting though, if it
makes a difference.

There are two sorts of edible coriander; one with spidery leaves
grown to produce the culinary seeds, and one with larger flat leaves
which is the sort to use when a recipe calls for a handful of chopped
coriander. So, the culinary seeds you planted would not produce the leaf
one if that's what you wanted.

You'll find seed of the leaf sort sold in any GC as cilantro, it's easy
to grow sown in the open garden and not too late to start a crop now.
Don't transplant them, it makes them bolt to flower and then they stop
leaf production.

Janet

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry