Old 13-06-2006, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts

Default Damaged tomato plant

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 03:16:10 -0700, pea_thrower wrote:

Good morning everybody,

I hope somebody may be able to supply a credible explanation for the
following:

Some weeks ago one of my Gardeners' Delight tomatoes, planted in a
pot, was blown over and the stem severed by about 50% near the base of
the plant. An identically sized GD tomato remained undamaged. Call me a
sentimental old softie if you will, but I lifted the damaged stem back
to the vertical and secured it to a cane.

Much to my amazement, the damaged plant not only survived, but is now
appreciably larger than its undamaged companion.

Any ideas, or shall I just move straight on to healing the sick?

Thanks

Did you apply support to the break?

I have done this in the past (sticking plaster IIRC) and the plant has
flourished.

Tomatoes are very resilient - you can get new plants by planting up the
shoots you normally pinch out; almost anything will root and grow.

I suspect that the wound may have healed.

I also suspect that you may have scared it a little so it is trying to
impress :-)

Aren't you advised to beat a walnut tree with chains to make it fruit?
Possibly a similar effect.

Cheers

Dave R