Old 13-06-2006, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot

Default Tamarind plants

trin wrote:

I have no experience of growing, but lots of experience eating.

Heh.

I'm
sure you could overwinter indoors as long as it got lots of light but
Tamarinds grow into huge trees. I expect it would get too big very
quickly. I think some varieties get up to 80'.

Yes, I read up on them earlier and found some pictures to be absolutely sure
they were tamarinds - they are.

Its great fun to grow
them though even if they may have to be abandoned in the end.

But I was really upset when my mango died!

I shall
have a go myself next time I get hold of some seeds. Its pretty
foliage too I seem to remember.

It is - like a fat fern. The seed pods come out of the soil on a stalk and
then split, exposing fluffy foliage. They're like aliens.

Si