Old 13-06-2006, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jupiter

Default 'Volunteer' Tomato Plants

Last year I grew 6 tomato plants - various varieties but no F1 hybrids
- in 2 growbags which cropped well but needed massive watering
attention throughout the summer. So over the winter I rotavated a bed
and now have 18 thriving plants rooted in the ground.
During our recent very hot and dry spell, healthy tomato seedlings
have sprouted all over the garden, among my runner beans, cabbages and
not least my new tomato bed. Now I haven't sown them and I certainly
haven't used any sewage sludge around the garden. I did compost last
year's vines which inevitably included small unripe tomatoes. I think
they can only have somehow come from last year's planting, so will
seeds from unripe tomatoes survive composting or might it be bird
activity?

Whatever, as they seem likely to be true to type I'm going to grow
them on. I'm looking forward to tomatoes in the middle of the runner
bean wigwam!