Old 13-06-2006, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default strimmer

Mike Reid stopped walking for a moment and asked
the grass round my allotment is really overgrown, I have a little
battery strimmer which wont hardly touch it, would a big macho
petrol one do the job, recommendations?

Any of the petrol ones will outperform the battery electriic ones, and by a
large degree.

Lots of makes, mostly 2 stroke engines so you have to mix special oil with
the petrol.

Stihl are acknowledged to be the most robust, best, which is why
professionals use them, sky's the limit price wise.
http://www.stihl.co.uk/html/default_...tegory=product
I use a Husqvarna and am very pleased with it's performance and durability
and would buy another.( they also make an excellent 2 stroke oil)
http://www.husqvarna.co.uk/
Then there are the Honda 4 stroke engined ones, no mixing of oil, less
vibration and a lot less noise but again not cheap.
http://www.honda.co.uk/garden/Garden...ers&MowerType=

About £120 gets you a decent 2 stroke strimmer capable of the job you want
it for, but don't forget the full face visor, gloves, and ear protectors,
and always cover up, they can and do chuck stones at you together with bits
of nettle etc. If you can get one with a harness it makes life easier.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden