Old 13-06-2006, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Complete Novice and my garden is dying

On 13/6/06 21:08, in article , "KBellamy"
wrote:

Hi,

I moved into a new house last year and had my garden landscaped and
fully planted, I am trying to maintain it myself but my plants are
starting to die off and I have no idea why, over the last two weeks I
have lost 4 plants and two trees, the leaves on the plants are turning
yelllow and dropping off, the buds on the trees are shrivelling up
turning brown and dying.

I think that the advice to get the contractor back and ask for an
explanation form him, is a very good piece of advice indeed.

On digging up both sides one part of the garden seems to have excess
water which I suspect is part of the problem, we did have drainage put
in but it doesn't seem to have eliminated the issue, this area is
beside the house near a huge fir tree which is approx 60 feet high.

I have done some soil testing and the soil is clay alkaline and
nitrogen depleted but thats all I know and know I'm stuck!

Before planting anything your contractor should have researched the type of
soil you have and any underlying problems such as e.g. drainage.

It is very distressing to see everything dying before my eyes and I
would welcome any advice anyone can give me.

It must be horrible for you. But I do think your only recourse is to get
the people you paid good money to to tell you what they did to ensure they
gave you the right plants for the right location AND that they prepared the
home those plants were going into, correctly.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk