Old 13-06-2006, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Complete Novice and my garden is dying

"KBellamy" wrote in message

Hi,

I moved into a new house last year and had my garden landscaped and
fully planted, I am trying to maintain it myself but my plants are
starting to die off and I have no idea why, over the last two weeks I
have lost 4 plants and two trees, the leaves on the plants are turning
yelllow and dropping off, the buds on the trees are shrivelling up
turning brown and dying.

On digging up both sides one part of the garden seems to have excess
water which I suspect is part of the problem, we did have drainage put
in but it doesn't seem to have eliminated the issue, this area is
beside the house near a huge fir tree which is approx 60 feet high.

I have done some soil testing and the soil is clay alkaline and
nitrogen depleted but thats all I know and know I'm stuck!

It is very distressing to see everything dying before my eyes and I
would welcome any advice anyone can give me.

Thanks

--
KBellamy

I agree with the comments of the other contributors.
If you have an alkaline soil then the chances are that the dying plants are
probably "acid loving " plants. The 60 feet high tree may be responsible for
creating very dry soil.
Treat your garden as a long term project. I am certain that this time next
year you will have everything you desire.