Old 13-06-2006, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Working with or Controlling Nature?

VX writes
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:59:20 +0100, tom&barbara wrote
(in message .com):

I leave quite a few ' weeds' to grow in my garden because I see them as
just wild flowers. Don't know the name of some of them but one is the
creeping buttercup. I have another yellow flowering wild plant and a
tall pink one, also some huge daisies. Anyway isn't a weed anything
which is growing where you don't want it too?

So long as it flowers it is pretty safe in my garden Rupert :-) I am
just madly in love with nature full stop.

Gail :-)

I'm pulling out a lot of weeds now and some of them might actually be nice
things to let grow- if only I knew which ones they were. For example I'm
pulling out a lot of clover lately and I have it in the back of my mind
somewhere that it is a fairly benign plant. Could be wrong about that though.

What would be really useful is a book or web page that informs about wild
flowers and -most importantly- shows which ones would be tame enough to keep.
I don't suppose there is such a book or web site in existence....?

Tame depends a bit on where you are. For example, people pay good money
for Alchemilla mollis and struggle to keep it in their gardens, while
others of us pull it out by the dustbin-load.

A good few of the things that aren't tame enough to keep are in fact
introduced plants which started off as garden plants (although some have
now escaped into the wild) - Russian Vine, Japanese knotweed, Himalayan
Balsam, Boston Ivy, Crassula helmsii. There are few really horrible
natives - dandelion, bindweed, couch grass, horsetail and ground elder,
and that's about it. Oh, and rosebay willowherb, but that's introduced.
--
Kay